How to: Vicki's spooktacular papier-mâché bowl
Community Engagement Manager, Vicki Gillow, shares her step-by-step guide to creating your own spooktacular papier-mâché bowl this Halloween.
Vicki Gillow, Community Engagement Manager, talks us through the process to make a multi-purpose papier-mâché bowl in time for Halloween. Whether you need a bowl ready for trick or treaters sweets, or a nod to the Mexican festivities of the Day of the Dead, you are in for a treat.
To make your Halloween, Day of the Dead treat bowl, you will need to follow the three stages as detailed below.
Materials you will need:
1. Blow up your balloon to the size you want to be and draw a line around the widest point of the circumference.
2. Using a combination of glue and water, paste the newspaper strips onto the balloon (the half not containing the tied end), up to your line. Build up five layers of glue and newspaper, and try to ensure that the strips overlap. Once you’re done, leave the balloon overnight to dry.
1. Gently lift the hardened newspaper bowl off your balloon, stick down any bits that come loose using blue and water, and trim or sand the edge so that it lines up with your drawn-on line.
2. To make a stand, twist and roll some more newspaper so that it makes a small circle, about a quarter of the width of the widest part of your bowl. Use some marking tape to secure it and glue to the bottom of the bowl, pasting more strips over the top with glue and water. Leave it to dry overnight.
1. Coat the inside of your bowl with white paint and leave it to dry. Then layer on your base colour. While that is drying, you can also paint a design on the outside.
2. When the inside if dry, draw your design on in permanent marker, and then use coloured pens or paint to colour it in.
3. After your bowl is dry, fill it with some tasty Halloween treats to reward any trick or treaters!
Abbeyfield has complied with the government’s guidance on managing the risk of COVID-19 and is COVID-secure. Please click to find out more about our response to the pandemic.
For the best quality experience, loading speeds and security when viewing Abbeyfield.com, please update your browser.
One of the free, modern and secure browsers below are free to download and will greatly improve your interaction with this site.
Clicking the ignore button with prevent this pop up from showing for 7 days