Preparation time: Less than 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 4 thin cut beef steaks
For the stuffing:
- 100g sausage meat
- 20g fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp fresh chopped sage
- ½ onion (roughly chopped)
- 1 large clove of garlic (roughly chopped)
- Salt and pepper
For the haggis stuffing:
- 180g haggis
For the sauce:
- 1 onion (chopped) long ways
- 2 carrots chopped in small pieces
- 300ml beef stock
- 100ml red wine
- 1 tbsp. plain flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Layout your 4 steaks that have been flattened and season with salt and pepper
- Sausage filling – add the sausage meat, breadcrumbs sage, onion, garlic and salt and pepper. Mix together in a bowl, then transfer to a food processor, blinding until combined.
- Starting with the short edge with the sausage/haggis on, carefully roll up each steak, completely enclosing the filling. Then tie each steak parcel securely using food safe twine.
- Heat a little oil in frying pan on a medium heat, Brown the beef olives, frying for approx. 2 minutes on each side, depending on the thinness. Remove them from the pan and set them aside.
- Add another splash of oil to the pan. Add the onion and carrots and fry until softened – about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the flour and stir well to combine.
- Gradually add the wine, stirring as you go. Then slowly pour in the beef stock, again stirring after each addition.
- Add some seasoning to taste, bring to the boil, and then deuce to a simmer.
- Let the sauce cook for another 5 minutes, while it simmers, preheat the over to 170c.
- Transfer the sauce to a basking dish, then place the beef olives on top.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour.
Need more inspiration?
View more main course recipes
You'll find plenty of main course recipes to suit a range of taste buds.