This week (18th – 24th May) it’s Mental Heath Awareness Week
At Abbeyfield, we know mental health problems can affect anyone, at any time, old and young. This year the theme is kindness, one thing that the world is prevailing in uncertain times. Read on to find out how you can get involved.
1. Random acts of kindness
Spread some joy through random acts of kindness this week. You could even take a photo or video of your act of kindness (with permission!) to share online – don’t forget to use the hashtags below!
Not sure how you can help? We’ve listed a few general ways below or you can read our blog on how to help older people in your community here.
- Call a friend that you haven’t spoken to for a while
- Tell a family member how much you love and appreciate them
- Arrange to have a cup of tea and virtual catch up with someone you know
- Tell someone you know that you are proud and thankful you are of them
- Send an inspirational story of kindness people around the world are doing for others to someone you know
- Contact someone you haven’t seen in a while and arrange a virtual catch up
- Donate to Abbeyfield as part of our Emergency Coronavirus Appeal
- Reach out to call a friend, family member or neighbour who is experiencing loneliness
- Offer to skill share with a friend or neighbour via video call - you could teach guitar, dance etc.
- Send someone flowers or gifts
- Lend your ear – call a colleague and ask how they’re finding the change in routine
2. Join the conversation online
We want everyone to get talking about kindness and mental health. Use the hashtags #KindnessMatters, #MentalHealthAwarenessWeek and #AbbeyfieldMHAW. Don’t worry if you don’t have photos or videos, you can still share your ideas of how to spread kindness with others.
3. Become a volunteer
We are on the lookout for green-fingered volunteers to help us with things like gardening at our homes! Sound like you? Click here to apply in your area – we are looking for volunteers for various roles, so if gardening isn’t your thing but you’d still like to help, apply and we will get in touch.