Discover how to create your own mosaic using ceramic tiles and grout.
Mosaics are a beautiful way to create a photo. Usually found adorning the ceilings of cathedrals with extraordinary details, but also in a simple pattern on a coaster or art displayed on the wall. With practice, you can create a beautiful mosaic all your own.
Community Engagement Manager, Vicki Gillow created these mosaic videos to help you with a pathway through to designing and making a mosaic for your home or garden. The three videos below will take you through each step, so you can use them as a guide when creating your own mosaic.
Step 1 – Turning your image into a mosaic design
Take a simple design using inspiration from photographs, the garden, things around you, or from a painting you have done, and simplify your image into a mosaic design.
- Paper and coloured pens or pencils
- Coloured mosaic tiles (you can find these in DIY stores or on Mosaic Heaven)
- Pebbles, sea glass and shell (optional)
Step 2 – Making a simple mosaic
Begin creating your mosaic using the design drafted in step one.
- Safety equipment; gloves, mask or visor (goggles)
- Tile cutter (if cutting tiles)
- Cement board or plywood (for interior mosaic)
- China and walls (for interior mosaic)
- Adhesive (comes in powdered form or already mixed)
Step 3 – Grouting your mosaic
Finally, finish your mosaic by grouting.
- Maplin exterior adhesive and grout (for exterior mosaics)
- Palette knife and or a adhesive grout applicator
Read more 'How-to's
Vicki's Valentines Day Crafts
Our Community Engagement Manager (West) Vicki Gillow came up with three great activities for you to get creative with this Valentines day.
Mini Egg Rocky Roads & Rice Krispie Cakes
Make and tuck into our delightfully light Rice Krispie cakes and scrumptious rocky roads.
Arts & Crafts Activities
Arts and crafts can be fun for everyone, you don’t need to be an artist to enjoy some model making, painting or drawing.