- 200g / 7oz salted butter
- 200g / 7oz soft brown sugar
- 150g / 5oz golden syrup
- 500g / 1lb rolled oats
- 1/2 jar of raspberry or strawberry jam
- 100g / 4oz white chocolate - broken into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 160c / 140c fan.
- Line the base and sides of an approx 20x20cm baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Put the butter, sugar and syrup into a large saucepan and stir over a gentle heat until melted.
- Stir the oats into the butter mixture until well combined.
- Put half the mixture into the baking tin, spread out evenly and flatten down with the back of a metal spoon.
- Spread the jam over the flattened oats and top with the remaining mixture. Once again, flatten out with the back of a metal spoon.
- Bake for approx 40 mins until pale golden brown.
- Whilst the mixture is still cooling in the tin, cut the flapjack into 16 portions. Continue to cool in the tin completely. The flapjack will firm up as it cools. Once cool, remove from the tin.
- Put the chocolate in a bowl and sit over a pan of simmering water (making sure the bottom of the bowl isn't touching the water) and let the chocolate melt gently.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the flapjack pieces.
- If you prefer more chocolate in your flapjacks, add some white chocolate chips to the oat mixture before baking.