For the cake:
- 1 ½ lbs of rhubarb
- 1 packet of trifle sponges or fingers
- Juice and rind of two oranges
- Sugar to taste
To make meringue topping:
- 3 egg whites
- 6oz caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon cornflour (cornflour helps the meringue stay crisp)
- Fill the bottom of an ovenproof dish with half the rhubarb, cut into small pieces, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place sponge fingers onto the rhubarb.
- Cover this with the remaining rhubarb and sprinkle with more sugar.
- Grate rind from oranges, squeeze the juice, and add together and spoon over the rhubarb and sponge mixture.
- Cover with foil and cook for 45 minutes at 180 degrees or until the rhubarb is soft.
- Take from the oven; keep covered while the topping is made.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and add 2 oz of the caster sugar.
- Mix the rest of the sugar with the cornflour and then fold it into the egg whites.
- Cover all of the fruit mixture with the meringues and cook in a cool oven (160c) for approximately 20 minutes.
This pudding is delicious served hot or cold with cream.